Sunday, July 11, 2010

Too much of a good thing....

Is it possible to have too much of a good thing?  Of course I am talking about food here. 

In most cases, paying attention to the amount of food we are eating is just as important as the quality of the food we are eating.

I went to the farmers market down the road the other day and purchased $25 worth of vegetables that probably would have been twice that amount at the grocery store.  Plus it was all organic and came from only about 25 miles away.  I am a big 'local-pusher'.  Buy local.  Better yet, plant a garden, even a small one.  I started witha 12x12 trellis box with one tomato plant 3 seasons ago and now a large portion of my backyard has a garden that soon will produce enough zucchini, yellow and spaghetti squash, tomatoes and peppers to feed my whole block.

So, anyway, not to get off subject... I looked at this huge basket on my countertop of Vegetables (and some small potatoes too) and I just want to dive right into it and start grilling!  The whole thing!!  Haha.  When we grill our veggies, I usually end up making too much.  So, this got me to thinking, can you eat too much of a good thing?

Sure you can.  Too much of anything is always going to have an adverse effect on your body.  For any one of your 5-6 small meals a day, go by the following 'Eye-Sizing' chart, making sure to include a healthy carb and a lean protein source at each meal, and don't forget your two healthy fats a day!  For more info on the clean-eating lifestyle go to http://www.eatcleandiet.com/

Protein serving = Palm of one hand (4-6 oz of fish, 4-5 oz of chicken, 3 oz of red meat)
Starchy Complex Carbs or Starchy Veggies (ex. corn) serving = what can fit into one cupped hand (about an actual measured cup)
Complex Carbs from Fruits and Non-Startchy Vegetables = (what can fit into two hands cupped together.
Healthy Fats = one scant handful of nuts; 1 to 2 Tbsp of oil (size of your thumb tip = 1 Tbsp)

Try using this guide today and see how your current portion sizes measure up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment