Tuesday, July 20, 2010

YOU are the Only One Who Can Stand In Your Way.

Hello there my fellow blog-followers!  It is 8:30 pm Utah time on our 3rd day(technically 2nd day of ass-kickings) day.  Our structured day ended at 7pm after our evening lecture.  I just finished with an 80 minute massage, which feels amazing right now, however, I am wondering what the effects will be on top of my already-sorer-than-sore state. 

I wanted to take a few moments to share some of my experiences with you up to date.  I have kind of recovered from the shock of not being able to post pictures/videos.  Thank goodness because you guys know what a freak I can be if things don't go according to plan.  As my good friend, Tony, always says, "don't &%*# with the program".

Anyway, during my most amazing massage EVER, I was thinking about what has happened to all of us up until this point.  I can't speak for each of the 7 of us, but I can speak for myself.  Each of us is here for a different and valid reason.  My reason for being here is to see what I am made of.  How much can I do?  How far can I push into that uncomfortable place.  A couple of us have been near tears during certain parts of our workouts, and a couple of us have hit a challenge or two.  I still believe that we are all very glad that we made the decision to come here.

There was a slight disappointment I felt when I realized that the 'pushing' we experience, is really up to us. 

The trainers and staff will give you exactly what you ask for and the way you 'ask' is to work your butt off.  I don't see them getting on anyone who is not giving 100%.  But, I do notice if you are giving 100%, then they are more than happy to get in your face and push you to your limits.  This has already happened to me 2 times in the past 2 days, all on that damn treadmill.  Today, in Cardio Intervals, I maxed out at 11.7 mph for my last 17 seconds of a 1 minute sprint.  I say 17 seconds because I couldn't last that last 3 seconds, seriously, could NOT last.  I have never run that fast before in my life.  I didn't know I was actually capable.  But, here I have chosen to give at least 100% and let them inspire me to push to that place I have never gone before.  It empowered me.  I also believe it empowered Trish and Lisa!  After completing my first of 2 sets of sprints at a max of 11 mph, I talked them into trying the 1 minute sprint going from 8 mph in first 30 sec to 10 mph for the last 30 sec.  As we were all catching our breaths, I believe I heard surprise and delight from both of them that they could run that fast!  AND, I know that tomorrow they will go faster!  Yay! Go Ladies!

Another class yesterday, appropriately called Mountain, I had a similar experience but over a longer period of time.  Basically you add a level/speed/incline every 3 minutes for 30 minutes.  By the time I was at our 5th change of 10 I was already close to the top of my Zone 3 (very challenging,uncomfortable,race pace).  The next place you can go from Z3 is Z4 which goes into your anaerobic zone.  The last 6 minutes of that class was hell for me and Tina, but we accomplished something that we never thought we could.  I think Tina may have been a little bit inspired to push herself as she watched my heart rate climb over 170 for those last 6 minutes.  She was running her butt off!  Great job, Tina! 

To thread in the blog topic, what I really want to stress is that we can do so much more than we think we can. 

Yes it is painful.  I have never been more sore in my entire life.  But, I KNOW I can do it, and I KNOW I am worth it.  All the trainers here have this way of convincing you, if you are open to it, to push beyond your limits.  Yesterday, during Mountain, Tiffany (you think I am tough, Ha!, wish you could meet Tiffany), says to our group, "Don't be the ONE thing that stands in your OWN way!"  There are a lot of life situations that we can crossover with that one. 

We are all amazing in our own right.  We have to believe in ourselves... ONE - that we CAN do it!... and TWO - that we are WORTH the effort.

Until Later,
Trace

No comments:

Post a Comment