Saturday, May 8, 2010

What Do You 'Choose'?

"One might as well try to ride two horses
moving in different directions,
as to try to maintain, in equal force,
two opposing or contradictory sets of desires"
~Robert Collier

The best of both worlds.  Have your cake and eat it too.  On the fence. 

I'm sure there are many other phrases, analogies, to describe the push and pull of everyday decisions, big and small, that we have to make each day.  When it comes to our health, the bottom line is, we must CHOOSE better health. 

I am the oldest of 6 children.  I have a brother and 4 sisters whom I love dearly (and miss a lot because they all live in different states (IL, FL, OR).  Both of our parents are dead. 

Our father died in July of 1996 at the age of 56.  Our mother died in June of 2006 at the age of 56. 

My father was morbidly obese (his BMI was greater than 40), he had asthma, ate an extremely poor diet and did not exercise.  His stress level was high due to the fact that he worked 3 jobs to support his family among other family stressors.

My mother was obese on and off for most of her adult life (her BMI was greater than 30) and she developed gestational diabetes with her last pregnancy, did not follow doc's orders to control her blood sugar, and subsequently developed Type II diabetes that ultimately led to an untimely death.  She spent the last 9 years of her life in a nursing home.

Both parents cause of death was coronary heart disease.

Lifestyle modifications (Healthy Diet and Exercise) could have saved both of their lives.  They could still be here today.  My father would be 70 years old.  My mother would be 61.

I watched as their health deteriorated and at the time, I really didn't know why.  Growing up I was always involved in sports, was always active and never thought too much about weight and diet.  The exercise regimen I kept along with my young thriving metabolism didn't really raise any red flags as to how it all fit together.

After graduating college, getting a desk job, losing the exercise regime and eating out a lot, I gained almost 50 pounds between 1996 and 2001. 

That was when I had to choose a side.  I had to choose which path I wanted to follow... the one that led to a long, healthy life or the one that my parents followed.  Genetically predisposed to the same ailments and issues they had, I realized that I wanted the former.  It is definately not the path of least resistance.  It is hard work every day of my life.  But, it is worth it. 

I often wonder sometimes how much richer and joyful my life would be (not that it is by any means not rich and joyful)... if my parents were still alive.  I think of all they have missed.  I think of all the things I would like to say to them.  I think about how... if I knew back then what I know now... I may have helped them the way I strive to help my clients, my friends, my family, who are all so important to me. 

To be the optimist that I am 99.9% of the time, I would have to say that the path my parents chose to follow (however misinformed and uneducated that path was for them)... is the Inspiration and  Motivation for why I am here doing what I do.  And, I LOVE what I do.  It is more than just a 'living' for me... it is a PURPOSE.

So, in closing -
Pick a horse... and ride with conviction on your healthiest path
Choose a side... that gives you the best chance for a long, healthy, happy life
Live in the Healthy World... It truly IS the best of 'both' worlds
Have your cake... and eat it only in moderation

Thanks for listening.  By the way - lost another 1/2 pound since yesterday morning! :)
Life is Good... Give it Everything YOU Have.
Trace

No comments:

Post a Comment